Our Beastly Bats make a fun addition to any Halloween celebration, quick and easy enough for little 'ghouls and goblins' to give a helping hand in baking or decorating! Ideal Halloween party food or teatime treat.
As with all our recipes, tweak according to personal taste and feel free to leave your own hints, tips and recommendations in the comments section.
Makes approx. 10 biscuits
175g / 6oz Plain Flour
115g / 4oz Butter (salted)
80g / 3oz Sugar
30g (2 tablespoons) Cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
Chocolate sprinkles (vermicelli) Gel icing tubes / pens
Mixing bowl – large
Small heatproof bowl
Flat surface e.g. large chopping board
Bat shaped biscuit / cookie cutter
Preheat oven to 1600C / 3200F
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix together the flour and cocoa powder, and sieve into the creamed butter / sugar. Using a knife, stir in the milk and knead the dough into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface, to a thickness of half a centimeter (a little under the thickness of a £1 coin). Dust the top of the dough, and the cutting edge of cutter with a little extra flour to prevent sticking, and cut out your shapes.
4. Bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Once the biscuits have cooled, melt the chocolate – using either the ‘Bain Marie’ method: place chocolate in a heatproof bowl, suspended above a saucepan of gently simmering water until melted, or the microwave: place in a heatproof bowl and heat on microwave high for 30 seconds, remove and stir, heat for further 10 second bursts, stirring in between, until melted. Take care to heat gradually as chocolate can easily burn in the microwave.
6. Cover the top of each biscuit with melted chocolate, leaving a small gap where the face would be, and cover with chocolate sprinkles. Then use the white gel icing to pipe two eyes (and a smiley mouth if you have room)!