To celebrate our new line of chocolate cake toppers, we've put together an 'ultra' easy, cheats cupcake recipe using a packet sponge mix, however if you prefer to make your cupcakes from scratch, find a full recipe here.
These fun chocolate chip cupcakes are ideal for Halloween, they look great, are very easy to create, and are delicious of course! Great Halloween party food, or tea time treat.
Makes approx 12 cupcakes
Sponge Packet Mix - preferably Red Velvet or Vanilla
Eggs (number required is dependant packet instructions)
Milk / Oil (dependant on packet instructions)
Red food colouring
Black food colouring
Ready made cake frosting or roll out icing
2 Mixing bowls
Cupcake / Muffin tin and paper cases
Wooden spoon for mixing
Preheat oven to 1900C / 3750F
1. Make up the packet sponge according to the instructions and divide into 2 separate bowls.
2. Add black food colouring to one of the bowls and red to the other (if required). We've used Red Velvet cake mix so we only needed to add the black, however if using a vanilla sponge mix, both colours will be needed.
3. Line the muffin tin with paper cupcake cases, and add red batter to each case - TIP: use an ice cream scoop to portion out the batter for a consistent amount in each case, which will result in cupcakes of equal size.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of black bater to the red natter in each case, but put 1 black blob on one side of the batter, and the other on the other side of the batter. Then drag a cocktail stick / skewer or thin knife through the batter to create a swirling colour pattern.
6. Bake in the oven according to instructions and then leave to cool.
7. Decorate with coloured cake frosting or fondant icing, and add chocolate skull cake toppers. TIP: When attaching the skulls to a flat surface e.g. fondant icing, use Nutella, or a blob of frosting / soft icing as a 'glue' to keep the skull in place.
Looking for more Halloween Party Food Inspiration and Ideas, check out our other recipes: